Monday, February 11, 2013

Just loafing around

You know I've always been sort of scared of baking bread. Not the easy stuff like banana bread or pumpkin bread. The hard stuff with yeast that has to bubble then the dough needs to rise several times and then its rolled out.

That bread has always taunted me. I have no idea why.

I finally just did it. I have had this easy to make French bread recipe for awhile now. It kept coming up in my to make shuffle and I would just add it back to the bottom of the pile.

Sadly I do not know where I found the recipe. You guys know I always give proper credit. So if I got this from your blog I will edit this entry to reflect that if I ever find you! Ahaha!

Anyway I put on my big girl apron and got my mixer ready and took a deep breath! Guess what happened??? AMAZINGLY EASY BREAD HAPPENED!!! EASY AND HOLY SMOKES DELISCIOUS!!!

So here is it the mystery recipe I had saved in a word doc on my computer for about 2 years.

Go make yourself some bread people!!! Don't be scared!! It's not as bad as I psyched myself into thinking!!

We may or may not have eaten a entire loaf on our own while it was still warm. I mean it was warm and soft what's a girl supposed to do! Ahahaha!

Enjoy and Keep on Making Stuff!!

French Bread recipe (this amount makes 3 small loaves or 2 large):
2 1/2 c. warm water
2 Tbls. yeast
3 Tbls. sugar
2 Tbls. white vinegar
Add the above ingredients together and let sit until bubbly (about 3-5 minutes). Then add:
1 Tbls. salt
1/3 c. oil (I use Canola)
6-7 c. flour (or a little more if it's too soft), one cup at a time--add enough until the dough is soft, but firm enough to mold into dough loaves

Knead for 2-5 minutes and then put in the oven with a small pot of boiling water. The water will keep the dough moist. Watch the dough and punch it down when it gets to the top of the mixing bowl. Do this every time it gets to the top of the bowl, as long as you have time to babysit it (2-5 times). Put the dough on a greased countertop and divide into 3 sections. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and sprinkle a thin layer of cornmeal on the bottom of the sheet. Roll the dough balls into rectangle/long French bread shapes. Slash tops of bread diagonally 3-5 times and cover with a beaten egg. Let rise 30 minutes (or until doubled)on the counter, or you can put them in your oven at 170 and wait until they are the size you want to cook them at. Once they are to the right size, turn up your stove to 375 (without opening the door!) and let them bake until done. Or, just raise on the counter and bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Enjoy! Dough--can be a little soft, if too sticky, add a little more flour. Put the boiling water in the oven with your bowl of dough to help it rise faster. Cut the dough into two equal parts (or three if you are making smaller loaves). --pictures are of a doubled batch. Slice the dough diagonally and white wash with 1 beaten egg. Bake and serve warm out of the oven!


No comments:

Post a Comment